The first week of June is a very special time for the environment, especially our beloved marine environment, with three major awareness days falling at the start of the month:
- 1st June – Reef Awareness Day
- 5th June – World Environment Day
- 8th June – World Oceans Day
These days seek to shine a spotlight on the plight of the environment and since 70% of our planet is covered with ocean, the marine environment is of crucial importance to the health of Earth.
Whether you’re a seasoned diver or a beginner snorkeler, a glimpse of the reefs and the abundance of life is mesmerising and never fails to impress. One adventure could take you to a reef full of kaleidoscopic fish with turtles grazing and napoleons cruising by, while your next might be an adrenalin pumping current dive in a channel surrounded by sharks! Here at Euro-Divers we believe there is much to celebrate with regards to our oceans and a great deal to be done to protect them.
Here are 5 things you can do to take direct action for the marine environment:
- Reduce plastic consumption – every piece of plastic that makes its way into the ocean can be potentially lethal for marine life
- Bring reusable bags when shopping – opting for reusable bags instead of single-use plastic ones helps reduce the amount of waste produced.
- Participate in beach clean-ups – helping clean up beaches is an easy way to help reduce pollutants and protect marine ecosystems.
- Responsible diving, snorkelling, and water sports practices – never touch the reef or marine creatures, never take anything from the ocean (except any plastic rubbish you might find).
- Use reef-friendly sunscreen – this prevents pollution from the harmful chemicals damaging the corals and harming the creatures.
As well as the above 5 action points, spread the word and tell others, and ask them to do the same, creating a wave of environmental awareness across the globe. As divers and snorkelers, you know just how magical the ocean is, tell everyone else too!
We are organizing underwater and beach clean ups at all Euro-Divers dive centers from 1st to 8th June, please come and join us if you will be nearby.