Meet PawPaw and Anita
While diving on Maavaru Manta Point we got 2 very good pictures of 2 Mantas. We sent these pictures to Manta Trust in order to have their help for the indentification of the Mantas and we got some quite interesting information back:
PawPaw (MV-MA-0977): She was rather active over in Baa Atoll this past year so we are thrilled to see that she has now made her way over Ari Atoll, great news.
She is a juvenile female manta that was first identified in July 2008 at Sand Dune in South Male Atoll. She has been spotted a total of 20 times and is noted to be quite the little traveller- she has also been observed in North Male and Baa Atoll as well as Raa but the sighting of her in Maavaru is the first record of her visiting in Ari Atoll. Such exciting news!
Young PawPaw was last seen in November 2016, cleaning at Hanifaru Beyru in Baa Atoll. It is fantastic to see that PawPaw has made her way over to Ari Atoll and is enjoying all the manta company that side.
Anita (MV-MA-3223): Anita is a juvenile female manta that was first identified in February 2014, at Moofushi Bojamhadi. She is quite a shy girl and has been spotted 17 times. Anita is noted to have an injury on her 5th gill slit and this is believed to have been caused by a fishing hook…poor lady.
All encounters with Anita have been recorded in Ari Atoll, and she was last seen in December 2016, cleaning at Moofushi Bojamhadi.
- Mode’s surprise at Velidhu For Easter-Sunday at Euro-Divers Velidhu Maldives, we planned a full day-trip with the first dive at Fish Head, the 3rd dive on Hafza Thila and a very special dive site for the 2nd dive: […] Posted in Scuba Diving News
- Whale shark at Velidhu Maldives Wow, wow, wow!!!
At the end of on our dive on Beyru we saw a Whaleshark. Whalesharks are very rare in the North Ari Atoll and you can imagine the excitement of our guests! This magic […] Posted in Scuba Diving News
- Markus and leopard shark at Velidhu Maldives This November, our loyal repeater Markus came again to Velidhu Maldives for 1 month and did his time 60 dives with us…we spent some really good time with him.
See you again soon […] Posted in Scuba Diving News
- Lagoon cleaning at Velidhu Lagoon cleaning
On 19th October 2016 we organized a lagoon cleaning here in Velidhu.
We had a lot of divers willing to help get some garbage out of the lagoon and also some snorkelers. […] Posted in Scuba Diving News
- Diving around Velidhu in February February was quite busy here at Euro-Divers Velidhu as we had a lot of divers and on top we got a visit from the diving group “Seetuefel” (devils of the lake) from Switzerland.
They […] Posted in Scuba Diving News
- Velidhu in July Fullday-Trip Fish Head, Bathala Thila and Hafza Thila
We had a very nice fullday-trip to Fish Head, Bathala Thila and Hafza Thila.
The dives on this trip were all very nice….and one of […] Posted in Scuba Diving News